Here at LenJo Bakes we take great pride in making everything from scratch – no shortcuts! We use quality ingredients (local where possible) and do our best to bring interesting and delightful treats to our community.
We’re a relatively new business (just over a year old), but with new development comes unlimited opportunities for growth.
We have a small team of energetic, hard-working, fun-loving people who can’t wait to welcome another team member! You must have a great attitude, be punctual, professional, and passionate about food.
Paid breaks, a “staff snack” allowance, and shared tips are just some of the perks of joining our team!
We’re looking for a Baker/Pastry Cook!
The Baker/Pastry Cook-retail position is an integral part of the team! This person makes and bakes everything we sell in the shop from French macarons to cinnamon rolls to brownies and everything in between. This is a permanent, full-time position (avg. 40 hours/week) with a fast-track to management for the candidate with the right amount of experience and drive.
This position reports to the owner(s)/manager(s) and has direct responsibility of ensuring all production activities are performed with attention to the highest standards of food quality and implementing best practices set forth by the owner(s) as well as other duties, which include but are not limited to:
- Implementing company standards for formulas, scaling weights, pan sizes, bag sizes, bake times, and all production control processes for all products
- Measuring ingredients, kneading dough, mixing by hand or with kitchen tools, taking items in and out of the oven, and placing goods on cooling racks
- Planning and coordinating use of manpower, ingredients and equipment to ensure efficient production of consistent quality products
- Finishing and decorating pastries and other goods, as instructed
- Maintaining raw goods/product inventory
- Maintaining a clean and organized work environment
- Be committed to maintaining operational, merchandising and quality standards
- Cleaning and restocking work areas, emptying the garbage and compost, and cleaning and sanitizing equipment and utensils
- Maintaining an effective – positive, amicable, upbeat and “smile first” — customer service orientation
- Answering all customer questions if called upon (to best of ability)
- Working as a part of a fun, high-energy team
- Adhering to all food safety regulations and quality controls
- Other duties as required
- Work directly with and receive support from the owner(s)/manager(s)
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent organizational, time-management, interpersonal and analytical skills
- Clear and effective communication style, both written and oral.\
- Good judgment and decision-making abilities while communicating with customers and team members
- Ability to learn manual and automated systems/tools
- Skilled at working in a fast-paced environment while maintaining priorities and a high level of performance
- Basic understanding of bakery work flow, prioritizing work and handling multiple concurrent tasks
- Ability to read, write, perform basic arithmetic calculations
- Ability to walk, bend, and stand for extended periods; lift and carry 20kg for at least 30 feet (no stairs); carry lighter loads up and down stairs.
- Previous experience making French macarons (Italian meringue method); various doughs (yeasted, pie, tart); cookies, and squares in a professional kitchen setting
- A one or two-year baking and pastry arts diploma or equivalent experience
- Prior experience in a high- paced professional kitchen is strongly preferred
- Current Food Handler Certificate required
To apply, send an email with the subject “Baker/Pastry Cook” to hello(Replace this parenthesis with the @ sign)lenjobakes.com with the following information:
- Your résumé detailing relevant work experience
- Two references who we may contact
- Photos of your previous work (dated within the last year)
- And a short paragraph answering the following questions:
- Why do you want to work for us?
- Why should we hire you?
- What’s your favourite product at LenJo Bakes?
- What’s the earliest date you can start?
Or, you can also apply on Indeed!
Due to a very busy production schedule and a small kitchen, we are unable to train someone without previous professional experience. Please only apply if you meet the requirements above.
Expected start date: ASAP
Salary: $16.00-$18.00 per hour
- Casual dress
- Discounted or free food
- On-site parking
- Store discount
- Tuesday/Wednesday: 7am to 3:30pm; Thursday/Friday: 6am to 2:30pm; Saturday: 6am to 12pm
- LenJo Bakes is closed for two weeks after Christmas Eve
All of our COVID-19 protocols can be found on our website!